Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Review -- Best Intentions

Best Intentions
by Emily Listfield
Atria, 2009
338 pages

I want to thank Lauren from http://whokilleddeirdre.wordpress.com/ for sending me an advanced copy. Best Intentions became available on May 5th.

Summary: A wife and mother of two, Lisa navigates through a rocky career and an uncertain relationship with her husband. During a visit from and old college friend, Lisa begins to question the intentions of her husband and her best friend. When allegations of an affair surface, Lisa makes a desperate decision that ends in tragedy. Grieving and guilt ridden, Lisa must fight to discover the truth about the people she loves.

Review: Emily Listfield has written a compelling and engrossing novel that I had trouble putting down. She takes the reader into Lisa's mind, which is filled with the anxiety and insecurities of work, marriage, and family. The second part of Best Intentions has Lisa working through a mystery in which all the people in her life may not be what they seem. I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery, wanting to know more, looking carefully for clues. Overall, a fantastic read for anyone who enjoys character driven mysteries. Rating: **** out of 5

Want a second opinion? Check out Dot's review.

9 comments:

Dot said...

Thanks for the link Jess, glad that you enjoyed it too!

Missy B. said...

Great review! I want to read this one. I haven't read anything by this author yet - Waiting to Surface has been in my TBR stack for awhile.

Darlene said...

Nice review. I'll be reading this one at the end of the month so I'm glad to see you liked it.

Anonymous said...

I liked this one, too! Definitely a fast, character-driven read, and I was majorly looking for clues the whole time, too. I was surprised by who was responsible for the mystery (trying to hard to avoid spoilers!). I had suspected that it was that person, but then things kept happening to throw me off the scent...

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

Good review! Sounds like a book I'd like to read. :)

Iliana said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I was lucky enough to get a copy of this too so I'm looking forward to it.

Donna said...

This sounds great! I hadn't heard of this book before - another one to look for at my local book store!

Belle Wong said...

This definitely looks like an interesting read.

Shonda said...

Thanks for the review. I hope to start this book this weekend.