Welcome to the sixth discussion post of Barney's Online Book Club. This month we will be discussing Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The following questions are used to start the discussion, but please feel free to raise your own questions in the comments section. Please note that the questions and comments may include spoilers so read at your own risk.
Let the discussion begin!
1. What are you overall impressions of Katniss? How does she grow and change as the novel progresses?
2. What are your thoughts on the Hunger Games? Do you think that the author uses the games to make the reader think of the reality competitions that are prevalent on television today? If so, what message do you think she is trying to convey?
3. How did you feel about the romantic relationship between Katniss and Peeta? Was it a strategic move or do you feel that Petra truly loves Katniss?
4. Discuss the supporting characters such as Cinna and Haymitch. What does each one bring to their friendship to Katniss? Do you feel that each character has an alternative motive for the relationship that they forge with others?
5. Tell us your overall impressions of the book. Would you recommend it to teens? Why or why not? Will / have you read the sequel, Catching Fire?