Monday, August 3, 2009

Review -- The Bronte Project

The Bronte Project: A Novel of Passion, Desire, and Good PR
by Jennifer Vandever
Shaye Areheart Books, 2005
278 pages

Summary: Sara is a Bronte scholar and has always believed in romantic and torturous love. That is until her fiance leaves her, she loses her job because of Princess Diana scholar, and her ideas for a movie based on the Brontes is turned into anything but historically accurate.

Review: The Bronte Project is an interesting ride. The novel is one woman's journey to live the romanticism of the Brontes' novels. Jennifer Vandever shows the funny side to academia, the humorous competition and the ridiculous controversies. Sara is a wonderful character -- funny and smart. As she tries to get over a broken heart, she stumbles through her life making decisions not based on what will make her happy. It is only through a unique cast of supporting characters that she does truly find the ending that is right for her. This novel is not chick-lit, it works in the same way that Jennifer Johnson is Sick of Being Single works, it has the characters making hard decisions that the reader may not agree with. Rating: ***1/2 out of 5.

8 comments:

Sue Jackson said...

This sounds very good - interesting plot and characters. Thanks for the review!

Sue

Tasha said...

I just read Jane Eyre, so perhaps I'll check this book out at some point. I hadn't heard of it until reading your review.

Belle Wong said...

This looks like an interesting read. I always like novels that illuminate the world of academia, too.

Marie Cloutier said...

Soudns like a lot of fun. I love the Brontes!

Mel u said...

Thanks for bring this very interesting sounding book to our attention. I have added it to my Amazon wish list.

karen! said...

Sounds interesting.

Anonymous said...

This one I want to read too!

socialartist said...

I didn't like it too much - but I did think the lead character turned out to be strong and independent in the end - that alone made me enjoy the whole novel.