Thursday, March 26, 2009

REVIEW -- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon
Published by Doubleday
226 pages
1% Well - Read Challenge Selection 1


Summary: Christopher Boone is a fifteen year old autistic boy. One night, he comes across the dead body of Wellington, his next door neighbor's dog. Christopher decides to become a detective and solve Wellington's murder. Over the course of his investigation, he not only finds the murder but uncovers a family secret that changes his life.


Review: An intense and engrossing book, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, is a fantastic read. Haddon's words let you into Christopher's mind and world as he struggles to navigate through day to day life. Sometimes being in his mind was so overwhelming, I had to put the book down for a few hours or even a day. My heart went out to Christopher's parents, two people just trying to love and take care of a boy they can't even touch, as their adult lives spin out of control. I would highly recommend this book, the characters are interesting, the plot moves quickly, and I was left with a better understand of what it means to be autistic. Rating: **** out of 5

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review. I loved this book to. It's one that I tend to recommend a lot. Good to hear others are really enjoying it too.

Forgetful Librarian said...

This is a good book, nice review. I wanted to let you know I found you on LibraryThing. I also just started my blog. I'm having fun, but feel a little lost at times. So much to learn.

Booklogged said...

I love coming across a book I read awhile ago because it brings it back to mind. I love those little book-savoring moments. I loved this book - so original and well written and a good story.

Jo said...

Great review, thanks! I've not yet read this book, but my brother loved it - that's saying something considering he hates reading. I should really check it out.

Kerri said...

I also read Haddon's 'A Spot of Bother". I would suggest it as you liked his writing style.

socialartist said...

I really liked the book, though I read it a while back. The autistic boy is endearing and the writing style is good. I wouldn't mind reading more from this author.