Thursday, April 2, 2009

Booking Through Thursday -- 4/2


Suggested by Barbara:
I saw that National Library week is coming up in April, and that led to some questions. How often do you use your public library and how do you use it? Has the coffeehouse/bookstore replaced the library? Did you go to the library as a child? Do you have any particular memories of the library? Do you like sleek, modern, active libraries or the older, darker, quiet, cozy libraries?

I actually work in a library (but I am not a librarian). I started out as an elementary school teacher, but after budget cuts I was let go. I was out of work for 7 months, trying to never spend any money because I didn't know when I would start receiving a paycheck again. The public library in town was my solace. It was free and I could find hours of entertainment to keep my mind off my worries for a few hours a day. I was always a reader as a kid and like going to the library, but the time I spent there during the 7 months made me realize what I really wanted to do -- work in a library. A few months later, I actually got a part-time job at my town library and eventually found my current full-time job in a university library. To this day, my favorite part of the library is to stand in the stacks, shelves bursting with books, not a soul around, and explore all the books around me.
What about you?

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the biggest benefit of a library is it saves money, thats why i never bought books when i wasn't working, borrowing from the library made more sense :)

Blodeuedd said...

I would love to work in a library :D
I am actually thinking of a taking this online course at the uni pages. 2 years and I would have my credits since I already have a degree

Cupcakes And Peonies said...

Thanks for visting my blog- sounds like you have a very lovely job!

zetor said...

In this financial climate I think libraries will be doing well.

SmilingSally said...

I love libraries, and it was an enjoyable part of my life when I worked in one.

Melissa said...

I would love working in a library and always being surrounded by books!

Beth F said...

I worked in a library when I was in junior high. Loved being surrounded by books.

Alexia said...

I've always wanted to work in a library!

Jo said...

Lucky! I think it would be so cool to work in a library, surrounded by books! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great post! You found your dream ♥ I also enjoyed working in the library when I was in high school many, many, many years ago LOL Happy BTT!

Anonymous said...

Hmm... The only thing better than working in the library, I think, would be to be trapped in the library (with plenty of food in the breakroom ;-) ) in a snow storm. That's one of my fantasies :-D

Susan said...

I envy you! I have been trying to get a job at my library for the past three months. I think working at a library would be the best job ever.

Darlene said...

Jess, you're so lucky to work in a library. That would be my idea of heaven. You know books are always there for us no matter what else is going on. I love that. I too stand in the midst of the aisles just eyeing up all the books. lol.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
OOOOH, I'm jealous! I've always wanted to work in a library! Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great evening!

Sherrie

Ted said...

How great to enjoy your job so much!

Nise' said...

It would be a dream job to work surrounded by books!

Yvonne said...

I would so love to work in a library!

Kara said...

How fantastic it would be to work in a library - that's great that you found your dream job!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Marie Cloutier said...

I'm so glad that worked out for you. More and more people these days are depending on libraries. I'm glad that you were able to find your way to a more fulfilling career too! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm actually a month into my grad. dip in Info Management so I'll be (hopefully!) working in a library soon! It's a bit of a shame that it's so computer-based these days because I would love nothing more than to just spend all my days with shelves and shelves of books.