Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Review -- Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch

Girls in Trucks
by Katie Crouch
Little, Brown & Company, 2008
256 pages

Summary (from Barnes and Noble): Sarah Walters is a less-than-perfect debutante. She tries hard to follow the time-honored customs of the Charleston Camellia Society, as her mother and grandmother did, standing up straight in cotillion class and attending lectures about all the things that Camellias don't do. (Like ride with boys in pickup trucks.) But Sarah can't quite ignore the barbarism just beneath all that propriety, and as soon as she can she decamps South Carolina for a life in New York City. There, she and her fellow displaced Southern friends try to make sense of city sophistication, to understand how much of their training applies to real life, and how much to the strange and rarefied world they've left behind.
When life's complications become overwhelming, Sarah returns home to confront with matured eyes the motto "Once a Camellia, always a Camellia"- and to see how much fuller life can be, for good and for ill, among those who know you best.

Review: I have conflicting feelings about this novel. When I started reading it, I absolutely loved it. The plot was intermingled with short stories about Sarah's childhood, specifically growing up in the South and being a Camellia. As the novel continued on and she focused on her disastrous love life, I felt sad for Sarah. But when she continued to make unbelievably terrible choices and became bitter about her life, then I began to dislike Sarah and the novel. Overall, I would say it was an interesting character story that was well written. Would I read another novel by Katie Crouch? I would like to try Men and Dogs, because I did enjoy her writing style. It's just difficult to like a novel when you grow to dislike the main character so much. Rating: *** out of 5.

Have you read this novel? If so, leave your thoughts or a link to your review in the comments section!

6 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Sad to say this was a DNF for me.

Jess said...

I can understand Mary. She was a difficult character to sympathize with. Did you try Men and Dogs?

Tasha said...

I started to read this book when it first came out, but I did not finish it. I like the title, though.

Julie said...

It's sometimes hard to continue to read when you really dislike the character. I recently read The Bird House by Kelly Simmons (my review will post later today), and I totally dislike the main character, but still had to give the book props for character development and writing.

Kristin said...

Now I'm torn about reading this...I might just have to give it a go and hope I'll like it!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I've heard a few similiar things. I'd like to try it but I've been a bit turned off at this point.