Thursday, January 27, 2011

Review -- Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies
by Scott Westerfeld
Simon & Schuster, 2005
448 pages
*I borrow a copy from the library

Summary (from Barnes and Noble): Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there. But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world -- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

Review: An interesting young adult novel set in the future where all sixteen year old 'Uglies' undergo plastic surgery to become 'Pretty'. The plot starts off slow setting up the reader's understanding of this futuristic world and developing the main characters. Once Tally makes the decision to find Shay, the action picks up and the novel becomes very engrossing and enjoyable. Tally and Shay are both very likable characters being underdogs who are going against societal norms. The book also has a great overarching lesson of being happy with yourself and seeing the beauty within. Overall, a fast and enjoyable read. Rating: ***1/2 out of 5.

7 comments:

Marce said...

I agree, its good, its alright. I realised dystopian is just not for me. I didn't continue with the series but can understand why others loved it.

Bonnie said...

I don't usually read much dystopian fiction, but I think that I will check this one out none the less!

karen! said...

This is one of my favorites from Westerfeld (and, actually, the first of his books that I read).

Jess said...

Marce -- For me, dystopian fiction is hit or miss. I am not sure if I will continue with the series.

Bonnie -- Check it out and see what you think. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Karen -- This is the only book by Westerfeld that I have read. I hear he has a new adult novel out.

Thank you for stopping by my blog!

iLuvReadingTooMuch said...

OMG loved Uglies! and btw thanx for dropping by my blog :)

Rabiah @ Confessions of a Readaholic

Tasha said...

I haven't read this series, but it sounds like it has a good message.

Julie said...

Yea .. I'm still not sure that this series is for us. Thanks for the review!