Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Paranormal Mini - Reviews -- Vampire Academy / Ink Exchange / Eternal

Vampire Academy
by Richelle Mead

Best friends, Lissa and Rose, face the challenges of vampire teenagers growing up in a boarding school. Lissa, who is vampire royalty, develops a power that she can't control and Rose, her guardian, tries to protect her. As the book progressed, I began to enjoy the book more and more. Rose is definitely a difficult character to love, but she grew on me. The plot gets somewhat boring in the middle (lots of gossiping teens), but the action packed ending makes up for it. (1st book in the series) Rating: *** out of 5.
Ink Exchange
by Melissa Marr

The second book in the popular series, Ink Exchange tells the story of Leslie and the magical tattoo that connects her to the Dark Court of fairies. I absolutely loved this book. Marr keeps the reader spellbound with another well written book with a great plot and engrossing characters. (2nd book in the series) Rating:**** out of 5.
Eternal
by Cynthia Leitich Smith

Smith's second effort (the first being Tantalize) is the story of a guardian angel whose charge accidentally becomes a vampire. Better written then the first, Eternal has great main characters and fantastic ending. The middle of the book was problematic for me, it felt pieced together and didn't flow well. Overall, a light and fun read from an author who seems to get better with each book. Rating: ***out of 5.

5 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I really need to start Wicked Lovely. I have the whole set just sitting on my shelf.

Vickie said...

VAMPIRE ACADEMY is on the WWBL and I have the first in the Melissa Marr series there. Now adding TANTALIZE....thanks for the cranium's up!

Linda Nguyen said...

It's true that a number of books have "sagging" middles, and then the excitement starts up again for the ending. I own a copy of Vampire Academy and have yet to read it. =/ I was really looking forward for your review for Eternal. Thank you for the heads up. =)

Alaine said...

I read Wicked Lovely and everyone tells me that I'll enjoy Ink Exchange more. Glad to see you like it. The second and third book in the Vampire Academy series is much better than the first!

Sweet Book Delights said...

Brilliant, thanks so much for the wonderful reviews and heads up on the new books. Its a brilliant pointer for my next big book shop!
Chilli x