Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Review -- Jennifer Johnson is Sick of Being Single

Jennifer Johnson is Sick of Being Single
by Heather Mcelhatton
Published by HarperCollins Publishers, 2009
304 pages

Summary: Jennifer Johnson works at a job she hates, thinks she is fat, is addicted to Cinnabons, and wants to find the man of her dreams and get married. She meets the boss's wayward son, handsome and rich Brad Kellner, and Jennifer sets out to land him because he is everything she thinks she wants.

Review: Jennifer Johnson is hard to empathize with. She is the poster child for low self esteem. She is whiny and is constantly getting herself into outrageous situations. Like when she hides in the stairwell to shove a Cinnabon in her mouth without anyone looking only to be discovered by her dream man. Or the incident where she slapped a drag queen ('nough said). As she survives these situations, you think -- Jennifer, you are smart, funny, and wonderful! Stop messing up your life! -- only to hope that she will get the message. That is the greatness of this book, it is a hysterical cautionary tale for any woman who feels not good enough and believes that only certain things bring happiness. On a side note, I would like to give immense credit to author Heather Mcelhatton for the most surprising ending I have ever read. (If you have read this book, please email me I would love to discuss the ending with you -- jedziedz@hotmail.com, thanks! Do not leave anything in the comments, I'd hate to spoil it for others!) Rating:***1/2 out of 5.

3 comments:

holdenj said...

Nice non-spoiler review! I just picked this up from the library at the request of my best friend who says the same thing....needs to talk when I get to the end! I can't wait to see what is in store.

And I'll stop back.

Alexia said...

Sounds kinda like the Shopaholic series - so freaking aggravating, but in the end you end up loving it LOL I'll have to pick it up!

Kristen said...

I have this one here but haven't picked it up yet. I think your review has jumped it to the top of the tbr mountain!