Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Review -- Love Walked In

Love Walked In
by Marisa de los Santos
Published by Penguin Group, 2006
320 pages
June 2009 Book Club Selection

Summary: Cornelia Brown gets the surprise of her life when she meets Martin Cross, her Cary Grant dream come true. Across town, teenage Claire begins to see her lovely mother in the throws of a mental breakdown. As Claire reaches out for help, she meets Cornelia and they begin a friendship unlike any other.

Review: At first, I didn't think I would like this book. The chapters alternate -- one in Cornelia's voice and one in observation of Claire. The Cornelia chapters seemed to ramble, almost like she had adult ADD. Don't get me wrong, I love the old movie and Shakespearean references, but they just seemed very randomly placed. However, as the book progressed, Cornelia's chapters began to settle down with the introduction of Claire and Tao. Marisa de los Santos developed really interesting relationships between the characters and gave each their own distinct voice. A light read that makes the reader think of love in unconventional ways. Rating: *** out of 5.

6 comments:

Darlene said...

I read this one before my blogging days and I remember the beginning being really slow for me but then I had been drawn into the story and enjoyed it too.

Jo-Jo said...

Thanks for the honest review Jess!

Missy B. said...

Thanks for the great review! I've seen this book but have never picked it up.

Cheryl Pitt said...

That looks interesting and I love the cover.

Nely said...

I really liked this one - but do remember having to warm up to it at first. If you enjoyed this one, you should check out the continuation of Cornelia and Claire's story in Belong to Me. It was a bit longer but I enjoyed it more.

avisannschild said...

I loved this book, although the ending is a little predictable. I've just started reading the sequel, Belong to Me.