Sunday, July 18, 2010

Book Club Spotlight



For next month's book club meeting, we chose to read the very popular The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. For anyone who hasn't read it, here is the Barnes and Noble description:

"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers." January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she's never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb....

As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of this man and his friends--and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society--born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island--boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all.

I am actually hoping to start this book while camping this weekend. Wish me luck! If you have read this book, give it some love in the comments section (or some dislike if you wish) -- but no spoilers -- I haven't read it yet!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked it. It's an easy read and a quick one. Enjoy!

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I've seen this book about a few times, but haven't got around to picking it up yet. I hope you enjoy it! :)

Literary Feline said...

I hope you enjoy it, Jess! This one is on my TBR pile waiting its turn. :-)

Jess said...

I just got back from my trip and this book was perfect to take camping -- light, fun, interesting -- I am almost done and really enjoying it!

Thanks for all of your comments!

Anonymous said...

You have some excellent books there. I want to read 'The Passage' but the Stephen King one is preying on my mind lately. Both a thick, both look promising.

Have a great reading week, if you have the time pop by for my Monday list!

Rob said...

I have it on my radar screen too. Last month it was on sale at Costco and I couldn't say "no." I'm very weak when it comes to books. Hope you have a good camping trip.

Aloha from Rob

Sue Jackson said...

Still catching up on old posts! My son and I both loved this book - very unique approach, interesting plot, and likable characters.

I'm going to lend it to my mom this weekend when I see her.

Enjoy it!

Sue

P.S. Are you still doing your online book discussions?