Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review -- The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon


by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Knopf Doubleday, 2010
554 pages
*I borrowed this book from the library.

Summary: After a difficult childhood, David Martin becomes a fiction writer who is commissioned to write a religious text for a mysterious publisher.

Review: My summary of this book is terrible because SO MUCH more happens in this book, but I am finding the plot difficult to explain without spoiling too much. So you are getting a bare bones summary and a YOU SHOULD READ THIS review. The characters are mysterious with a touch of supernatural, the plot is dark and fast paced, and the writing is wonderful. My only complaint is that parts of the plot were confusing and the ending did not answer all of my questions. I do think it will make a fantastic book club book and lead to a great discussion tonight. I loved all the main characters (even when they made decisions I did not support) and was completely immersed into the world that the author created. Rating: ****1/2 out of 5.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You told me what I needed to know. The book is on my shelf, now I need to find the time to read it!

Anonymous said...

I know enough of Zafon to realise that it is very hard to summarise his work. So much goes on.

I must get this book. In fact I might have to borrow it from the library. But I'll find it and read it.

Sue Jackson said...

Hmmm...sounds intriguing - I know just what you mean about not wanting to give away too much. I just wrote a kids/teen review just like that where the suspense is one of the best things about the book!

I have to admit, though, that I didn't love Zafon's Shadow of the Wind. I know lots of people for whom that book is one of their all-time favorites, and some in my book club just loved it. For me, it was OK but it didn't grab me the way it did others.

I wondered about his latest - thanks for the review!

Sue

Jenny said...

Did you read The Shadow of the Wind? If you did, how did this one compare?

Aleksandra said...

Thanks for the review! Still haven't read any of his books, although most of them are on my tbr list, including this one!

Alyce said...

I've got this one on my shelf (won it in a game of book bingo at the library). I'm looking forward to reading it.