Saturday, July 24, 2010

What is your all time favorite book?


I know, I know -- It's like asking a mom to pick a favorite kid. It's really hard. Yet, once I sat and thought for a minute or two, it easily came to me. I guess you could break it down by genre. What is your favorite classic? Favorite historical romance or literary fiction? But that would take a long time and I am quite sure I wouldn't have a book for every genre.

So my pick? It is definitely Persuasion by Jane Austen. I could read Persuasion time and time again (in fact I have) and never get bored with it. I absolutely love Anne. She is the perfect heroine (okay, okay maybe not perfect -- she can be a bit of a doormat) who picks the perfect gentleman in Captain Wentworth (okay, okay he is not perfect either -- but very close). I love the family running away from the collectors, the hypochondriac sister and her sweet country in-laws. I love all the talk about the Navy and their trip to Lyme. I love the scandal in Bath and (of course) the perfect ending.

All right! Enough gushing! What is your all time favorite book?

7 comments:

Wolfe said...

i have to say right now the book that has been my favorite was The Pact by Jodi Picoult. I could definitly read this one again.

gautami tripathy said...

Jane Eyre, no doubt!

Sugar and Snark said...

The Harry Potter series :) (Can't really separate them)

christina said...

OK. I absolutely adore that you compared it to a mom deciding on her favorite kid. Too funny!

I hate this question, of course. It's like when someone asks you for your favorite author. Plus, I kinda go gun shy and forget everything that I've read immediately after someone asks. (Maybe it's like that "Make me laugh" kinda moment and then you can't be funny?)

Anways, right now I'd have to say it's a toss up between Emma, The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw (although that is his first book and it just came out this year so I'm reluctant to say it's my all time favorite), or The History of Love.

*le sigh* More than a mouthful, I'm sure.

Alyce said...

My mind is spinning trying to think of a favorite. I guess I'll have to give it some time and come back if I actually can narrow it down to one.

Jo-Jo said...

I still haven't read Persuasion so I guess I will have to soon! It's hard for me to think of a favorite also, but I seem to break them down by genres. I think I would lean closer towards The Kite Runner though...that book really left an impression on me.

Heidenkind said...

Jane Eyre