Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday Finds -- 7/10

Happy Friday!

My Friday Find for this week is Velva Jean Learns to Drive by Jennifer Niven. Here is the B&N description you have all been waiting for:

Set in Appalachia in the years before World War II, Velva Jean Learns to Drive is a poignant story of a spirited young girl growing up in the gold-mining and moonshining South. Before she dies, Velva Jean's mother urges her to "live out there in the great wide world." Velva Jean dreams of becoming a big-time singer in Nashville until she falls in love with Harley Bright, a handsome juvenile delinquent turned revival preacher. As their tumultuous love story unfolds, Velva Jean must choose between keeping her hard-won home and pursuing her dream of singing in the Grand Ole Opry.

Sounds fantastic, right? Thanks to Laurie Connors over at Plume for the recommendation.

What did you find this week? (Want to play along? Go to Should Be Reading!)

17 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Sounds really good!

Here is my Friday Find

Missy B. said...

My very favorite genre and type of story! Thanks so much for the heads up, I am adding it to my list. Great find!!

Anonymous said...

This isn't up my alley. I don't like books set back in time like this. But, thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

Anonymous said...

By the way, I looked at your reviews but we don't have any other books in common but The Frog Prince. :)

Literature Crazy said...

There were some interesting character descriptions (I love "handsome juvenile delinquent turned revival preacher") that make this seem like a compelling read.

avisannschild said...

Ooh, I saw this one somewhere this week too and it looks great. Thanks for the reminder!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a really good read. Nice find . I will keep a watch out for this one. Here's my Friday Finds post

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

That cover is gorgeous! And I'm totally digging the title =) Great find.

Vickie said...

Happy Friday! This looks like a good book. I look forward to your review.

Kristen said...

This one does sound fantastic. I hope you enjoy it! :)

Angela said...

That sounds like a good book - and I really like the cover.

Alyce said...

What a great find! I hadn't seen this one before.

serendipity_viv said...

This sounds really good. I just love the cover - I love ones that are black and white and there seems to be an abundance.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds like a really good book! I love the cover, too!

Sweet Book Delights said...

Sounds awesome, hope she choses to pursue her dream :p
Have a great wknd,
Vice xox

Darlene said...

This book does sound fantastic and the cover is awesome as well.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful book and like your review.

Good morning! :)