Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Review -- Something Rotten

Something Rotten
by Alan Gratz
Penguin, 2007
208 pages
Horatio Wilkes Series

Summary: A young adult version of Hamlet with a modern twist, Something Rotten takes the reader to the polluted shores of Denmark, Tennessee. Our hero, Horatio Wilkes, is investigating the murder of his best friend's father in a town filled with suspects.

Review: One of the best young adult novels I have read in a long time, Something Rotten, is a fantastically hip version of Hamlet, told in a contemporary way that makes for an engrossing read. Horatio Wilkes is a great character -- smart, funny, and unique. The plot is action packed and lessons in underage drinking and environmental protection are intertwined in the story. Rating: **** out of 5.

8 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

Young adult version of Hamlet - sounds really good. I do like a new version of an old tale.

bermudaonion said...

I might need to read this to brush up on Hamlet. Great review.

Cindy said...

It sounds very interesting. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Mr & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy by Sharon Lathan. I've wanted to pick up that book forever :)

Missy B. said...

I think I'd like this one. Thanks for the review. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I like the concept! I'll have to check it out.

Vickie said...

Intriguing......

Lenore Appelhans said...

I really like these modernized versions of classics. Haven't seen this one, thanks.

Anonymous said...

omg this looks like an awesome book. I love Hamlet. Thanks for the review.