Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Review -- The Next Thing on My List

The Next Thing on My List
by Jill Smolinski
Three Rivers Press, 2007
288 pages

Summary: The Next Thing on My List tells the story of June, a woman who is in a car accident that kills her passenger, Marissa. Marissa had written a list of 20 things to do before she turned 25 years old. In Marissa's memory, June sets out to accomplish the list that Marissa had only just started. With the help of co-workers, family, and friends, June works on completing the list and finds herself beginning to live life again.

Review: A fun and quick read that I had a hard time putting down, this novel is the perfect pick me up. The main character June, is an everyday average single woman who is going through the motions of her own life until a car accident takes the life of a woman she just met. June becomes depressed and uses the list as a way to lighten the guilt she feels over Marissa's death. June is a wonderful character -- frank, funny, and wonderfully good. Throughout her journey, there is a lot of laughter and even some tears as she tries to make more of her life. The writing flows beautifully, the plot is a little outrageous at some points, but the message is clear -- live your life to the fullest. Rating: **** out of 5.

6 comments:

Shonda said...

I've had my eye on this book for awhile. Thanks for the review.

Kelly said...

Great review! I"m going to have to pick this one up!

Unknown said...

Nice review. Jill lives in my L.A. neck of the woods, and I think she's coming out with a new book soon. I'm glad one of MINE is on your "to be read" list. Cheers!

Dot said...

This sounds really good, great review!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I'm glad you liked this one. Sometimes you just need a book that will make you cry a little and laugh a lot.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I really liked this book when I read it. Good review.