Thursday, July 30, 2009

Review -- A Reliable Wife

A Reliable Wife
by Robert Goolrick
Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, 2009
291 pages
Received from: the library

Summary: Ralph Truitt, a rich Wisconsin businessman, advertises for a wife and chooses to marry Catherine Land, a women with a secretive past. Taking place at the turn of the twentieth century, Ralph and Catherine try to build a future together while the sins of their past come back to haunt them.

Review: A Reliable Wife is the story of people with terrible pasts who are grasping for second chances. The writing has a lyrical quality and the reader is able to ponder the thoughts and feelings of characters who refuse to show their true selves to anyone. The characters are awful people, who have made tremendous mistakes and must live with them. Some seek forgiveness, while others try anything to change the course of their destiny. Yet through the language the reader is kept separate from them, watching from above as they live their day-to-day lives. The plot does have some twists and turns, but there no shock and awe. You know the characters are capable of anything. Overall, an engrossing read that makes you think even after the last page is read. Rating: **** out of 5.

6 comments:

Jo-Jo said...

This sounds like a good read to me...thanks for the review!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Jess..this sounds like a good one; thanks for the great review.

Darlene said...

I was curious to see what you'd think of this book as I've seen a few reviews that were less than favorable. I'm glad you liked it as I have it on my shelf. Nice review!

wisteria said...

I enjoyed this book as well. It captivated my attention with the twists and the unexpected. Thanks for the great review. I reviewed it for a publisher, so I haven't posted it yet. Coming attraction....LOL

Teddyree said...

Nice review, I like the sound of this one.

Kristine said...

I remember liking this book on one of my many Barnes & Noble visits. Must add it to my TBR list :)