Saturday, July 18, 2009

Saturday Stuff -- 7/18

This week has been a good week for reading. I was able to post three reviews: The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies, Need by Carrie Jones, and Mr and Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy by Sharon Lathan . I also started the Stephanie Plum series and am currently reading the third book. Speaking about the Plum series, I am wondering if bloggers review every book they read. I tend to stay away from reviewing series that I have already started before I began blogging less than a year ago. Series such as Anita Blake or Sookie Stackhouse in which I have read every book, I shy away from reviewing. I think my reasoning is that I would hate to spoil the earlier books for a reader who has just started them. What about you? Do you review every book that you read? I also finished The Late, Lamented Molly Marx by Sally Koslow, which is the Barney's Online Book Club Selection for July 2009. The group will be discussing the book on July 27th and all are invited to join us. Author Sally Koslow will be stopping by throughout the day to say hello and discuss her new novel. I am really looking forward to this -- Sally's novel was absolutely wonderful and should make for an interesting discussion.
Last night I started A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick and after a slow start I am engrossed in the novel. For those who haven't come across this novel it is about a rich man who advertises for a wife and gets more than he bargins for.
How was your week of reading? What are you reading this Saturday?

11 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Jess, I'm looking forward to your review of A Reliable Wife. I have it but just gave it to a friend to read. It may be a while before I get to it. I hope it's a good book.

serendipity_viv said...

Looks like you have had a good reading week.

Sue Jackson said...

Hi -

I decided when I started my blog that its purpose would be to recommend good books, so I only write reviews of books I liked. And, like you, if I've already reviewed one book in a series, I don't usually review every single one. That just seems redundant to me - if you like one book in a series, you'll probably like them all!

I just love the Stephanie Plum series! I look forward to each new release in the summer - they're always good for some major laughs!

Sue

Kelly said...

I've been meaning to get A Reliable Wife, I'll be interested in reading your review!

Tina said...

I think your question about which books to review is a good one. I will write a thorough review of books I receive as ARCs...after all that's why the publisher sent them. If the book is not one I'd recommend, I'll say so, but I'll be sure to indicate that I think there's a reader for every book and we all have different tastes.

I have an account on LT, and there I'll write at least a few sentences about any book I'm posting to count toward a challenge, and also include a review in the book itself.

I'm with you tho about series, or about current best sellers - how many reviews of Jodi Picoult can one read for instance? If a book has been thoroughly covered elsewhere, I'll simply state that I read it, I liked it, and I may link to an especially well-written review. If I didn't like it, then I'll say why.

Darlene said...

I do review every book I read only because I primarily review books on my blog for myself. I want a record of them and what they were about. The series though I try not to really say anything that could spoil it for anyone. I look forward to your review for A Reliable Wife. I have it on my shelf.

Amy said...

Wow! You have a lot going on. :)

I loved A Reliable Wife and look forward to hearing your final thoughts.

I review every book I read, because my blog's purpose is to talk about and share my reading experiences...positive or negative.

Anonymous said...

Hi, you have an award at my blog. :)

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I've heard really good things about A Reliable Wife. Sometimes when book start out slow for me I just have to be patient and usually they end up being really great.

I do review every book I read but I read much slower than most bloggers, I think. If you're worried about spoilers, just make a note so that newbies can beware.

Kerri said...

Hi Jess - still hoping to get my hands on a copy of the book club book but haven't found it yet.

I posted an award for you:
http://ravndahl.blogspot.com/2009/07/blogger-award.html

Sandra said...

A Reliable Wife sounds interesting. I'll watch for your review.