Thursday, July 16, 2009

Review -- Mr. and Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy

Mr. and Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One: Pride and Prejudice Continues
by Sharon Lathan
Sourcebooks, Incorporated, 2009
320 pages

Summary: The first few months of Elizabeth Bennett's marriage to Fitzwilliam Darcy as they begin their day-to-day lives as husband and wife at Pemberly.

Review: This book was not what I anticipated. The story tells of the daily life of the Darcys after they are married. They are happy. They tell each other how happy they are. They entertain guests who see how happy they are. I read a lot of Austen inspired novels, so I was waiting for the scandal and intrigue to kick in. The novel is well written and discusses their relationship in length as well as their feelings for each other and it is all very romantic but nothing really happens. The plot slowly unveils itself 3/4ths of the way through with a dramatic accident and I thought -- this is what I have been waiting for! -- and then as quickly as the incident starts it is over. Overall, a fun read that needed a bit more action for my taste. Rating: *** out of 5.

5 comments:

Darlene said...

I've wondered about this one quite often. I was going to pick it up but decided on the Zombie one instead. I'm kind of glad I did.

Linda Nguyen said...

I see this book around quite a bit and I'm surprised it doesn't really live up. hmm...

Jess, I have something for you. =)

http://bambireads.blogspot.com/2009/07/heartfelt-award.html

You might have gotten it already, but it doesn't hurt to get it twice. =)

Caffey said...

Hi Jess, I'm new to visiting your blog and looking forward to even more. I read lots of romances, especially historicals and too enjoy historical mystery series and urban fantasy. I'm getting now into historical fiction too. I loved P&P by Jane Austen and about to get into some sequels. Might this work for someone just wanting to 'visit' with Elizabeth and Darcy (LOL). I kind of miss them. I'm looking forward to figuring out what to read of sequel related books! I do have LYDIA BENNET'S STORY by Jane Odiwe and PEMBERLEY MANOR
by Kathryn L. Nelson

Literary Feline said...

Well, that is disappointing. I like a little more action in the books I read too.

Heidenkind said...

Yeah, this book definitely suffers from a lack of conflict. That was my main problem with it, even though I have to admit the sweetness and light started to give me toothache around page 150. :)