Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Review -- The Welsh Girl

The Welsh Girl
by Peter Ho Davies
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2007
352 pages
Library Book Club July 2009 Selection

Summary: The Welsh Girl tells the story of Esther, a seventeen year old barmaid who is living in a small town in Wales and Karsten, a German soldier who is a prisoner in the POW camp outside of town.

Review: The Welsh Girl is a well written, detailed, descriptive character driven novel. Peter Ho Davies' writing style is very visual, the descriptions of setting and people fill the reader's imagination. The characters are so well written -- every character walks, talks and breathes as if standing next to you. With all that said, this was not my kind of read. The plot meanders along and nothing really happens until the last 100 pages or so. The two main characters don't speak to each other until half way through the book. It was difficult for me to read this book, instead of enjoying the ride I was too preoccupied with where it was going and when we were going to get there. Rating: *** out of 5.

8 comments:

Harvee said...

These wartime stories can be interesting. Especially those love stories between foreign soldier and local miss.

Darlene said...

I've heard varying reviews on this one. I'm not in any hurry to pick it up but I had been intrigued in the beginning.

Sue Jackson said...

This one is waiting on my bookshelf - my neighbor lent it to me yesterday. Thanks for the review!

Sue

serendipity_viv said...

I had this one in my collection and couldn't have told you what it was about. Glad you enjoyed it.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I started reading this several years ago and couldn't manage to get into it. But maybe I'll try it again.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm.... I hear you. It was sounding interesting but I get a little tired of the books that just ramble on about nothingness and details of life before they get to the heart of the matter.

Sandra said...

I enjoyed this book if only because I don't come across many novels set in Wales. I just enjoyed their way of talking and doing things and didn't expect too much more I guess. And the wartime setting is infinitely interesting to me. It's always nice to see someone else's perspective on a book, and an honest one too.

Jenny Girl said...

I like my books to move along as well. I'll probably still read it anyway because I have some interest in Wales. THanks for the review!